#RepsForRapinoe – 1-Arm Standing Band Row
Posture affects all aspects of life. Due to hours of being slouched over at computers and cell phones, we have created a society of rounded shoulders and forward head posture. Posture has a direct effect on our performance and is the key to keeping us healthy and injury free.
A great way to negate said poor posture is by performing more pulling exercises (i.e. rowing) than pushing exercises (i.e. push-ups).
One of my go to’s is the 1-arm standing band row.
The Ins and Outs
Grab a band and attach it around a column about chest high
- From there, step out from the column and set up in an athletic stance (ie. slight bend in knees, chest out, butt out, and bracing your abs)
- Make sure not to go into hyperextension, i.e. allowing your back to severely ach
- Start by pulling the band towards your armpit – as you pull think about squeezing the shoulder blade back
- The elbow shouldn’t travel past your body, just beyond the ribcage is enough, so be mindful that you’re not excessively pulling the elbow back and in turn having the front of the shoulder roll forward
- Think about making a double chin so your head doesn’t jolt forward on each row therefore reinforcing the forward head posture
- No need to go heavy on these – start moderate and make sure you’re performing them correctly. 8-10 reps on each arm is good.
This is the last week – Get Involved!
Here’s how it works: For the next 3 weeks I will be posting 2 videos a week of me performing some of my favorite strength training exercises to encourage Megan. You can either perform the same exercises or come up with your own.
1) Post a video of yourself performing a strength training exercise and donate a few of your reps to Megan’s recovery
2) Tag me (@lorilindsey6) and (@mrapinoe) in your video
3) Hashtag #RepsForRapinoe
4) Show us what you got!
Excited to have you a part of this!