#RepsForRapinoe – KB Goblet Lateral Lunge
Most of us live our lives in the sagittal plane, meaning that we primarily move in a forward and backward motion, neglecting any other direction.
Sports are played in all three functional planes, therefore it’s beneficial to train in these different planes to maximize performance and prevent injury. The same goes for everyday life.
That’s why I love the lateral lunge. Not only is it a single leg exercise, but it is a frontal plane movement, forcing us out of our comfort zone.
We use an unloaded (no external/added weight) version of the lateral lunge in our warm-up at Ambitious Athletics. Start here and then progress to loaded (use of external/added weight).
The Ins and Outs
- Grab a kettlebell and hold it chest high with elbows underneath the kettlebell. As if you were actually holding a goblet. Holding the KB allows for counterbalance making it easier to sit back into your hip/glute.
- Step out to your side – making sure to sit back into your hip of the working leg. Lean forward at the torso but be cognizant of not rounding your back.
- Make sure that your knee doesn’t jolt forward over the toe, weight should be in all 3 points of your foot (big toe, little toe, and heel)
- Keep the opposite leg straight – feeling a stretch in your adductor (groin).
- By pushing off the entire foot of the working leg – drive yourself back to the start position.
- You can add these in at the end of your training sessions for more advanced clients/athletes or for beginners add them in at the beginning when they’re fresh.
- Try doing 3 sets of 8-10/leg
Here’s how it works: For the next 3 weeks I will be posting 2 videos a week of me performing some of my favorite strength training exercises to encourage Megan. You can either perform the same exercises or come up with your own.
1) Post a video of yourself performing a strength training exercise and donate a few of your reps to Megan’s recovery
2) Tag me (@lorilindsey6) and (@mrapinoe) in your video
3) Hashtag #RepsForRapinoe
4) Show us what you got!
Excited to have you a part of this!